One of the perks of living in Indonesia is the powerful support system your family can provide. When both parent need to work a full time job grandparents take over the duty of attending the care or their children during the day. I have had that privilege too long time ago in my early career as a working mom. But in my heart I always feel that there should be a better way to work things out.
Back then, a household assistant didn’t cost a lot, I hired three ladies to help me with the chores and the kids. My mom was there only to supervise. As life proceeds _ I changes shoes quite often from a working mom to a stay at home mom and again a working mom_ now I am refining my role as a mompreneur and I have decided when things get busier I might need to have a support from a daycare.
When a mother decides to go back to work, the first thing that comes up in mind is “who will take care of the kids while I am working?”. If you have a grandparent-support system in hand, that’s awesome. But if you don’t, a nanny and a daycare will be the choices for you to choose.
Let us see the pros and cons of both to help you decide:
– Least expensive.
– If you get the good one, they can be reliable to get things done.
– You get to set the rules and regulation, and be the boss.
– Your kids get a prime attention.
– No time limit, especially if you hire an in-house nanny.
– Hard to find these days.
– Sometimes you have to go through an agent, who will charge double.
– Turnover is quite high.
– If not careful, you can end up hiring a criminal and jeopardize the safety of your kids and the whole family.
– A reliable institution.
– Experienced and educated carer.
– Your kids will have friends and improve his/her social skill.
– They teach your kids too like reading, counting and more.
– They have various constructive activities that can make your kids occupied and happy.
– More expensive.
– Hygiene and health can be an issue.
– Your kids may not get the whole attention as he/she has to share with other kids.
– You have to submit to the daycare rules and regulations.
– There is a set of time you need to follow.
My personal choice is (if I have to make that decision eventually) to use daycare instead of a nanny. The reasons are because our current apartment is super small it barely takes the four of us, let alone if we add one more person i.e. a nanny. Also, because the kids spend over half day at school and I am quite mobile, it would be more convenient to drop them in a daycare instead of taking the whole trip back to our apartment. Lastly, as I said in the daycare pros above, they tend to have variety of constructive activities that the kids would enjoy.
Would you like to share your opinion on this? If you are a working mom at the moment, who takes care your kids when you are at work?