My cousin has to take credit for this post because she was the one who sparked the inspiration. She was heading to a job interview on Friday and was texting me to practice her conversational English in preparation for the interview. At one point she asked me to give three versions of saying I don’t know, just in case she couldn’t answer the questions.
Some of my ideas were totally crazy (which I still include on below list, btw) and you can decide whether to go for it or not. My own experience has shown me that sometimes it’s not about giving the right answer but more about giving the right attitude and the interviewer is likely to weigh how confident the interviewee is.
Okay. No more wishy washy, here you go the 10 interesting ways to say I don’t know in a job interview:
1. That’s a good question…uhm can I get back to you on that later?
2. I am sorry but I have no idea how to answer that question.
3. Can I choose not to answer that question?
4. I have no idea.
5. My knowledge on the subject is very limited.
6. I would love to answer that but the info is actually classified.
…what? Oh you want me to answer that??
8. I have to admit that it would be awesome if I know the answer. Unfortunately I don’t.
9. Hmm I think I need to explore more on that to improve my knowledge.
10. The truth is I am only a poor idiot trying to make a living. Please forgive my ignorance.
Uhuh yeah number 7 and 10 is definitely a no go but I just got to put it there for the sake of fun
Good luck to you, if you’re heading to a job interview!