Working from Home

Working from Home
April 8, 2013 CuteCoco

A conversation between me and a friend who own a home-based business some days ago:

Me: “So what do you want to do now?”

Her: “I want to go forward. I want my business kicks off”

Me: “Then what are you waiting for?”

Her: “Well..the problem is I don’t have any assistant right now. How can I take any cake order in between taking care my newborn, husband and the house?”

Me: “I know people who can do that even without a house assistant”

Her: “But then how about my baby and husband?”

Me: “So either you do your business or you don’t, as simple as that!”

My friend, and many other moms I know, seem to stuck in this dreamy-land called Working from Home. They were all working women once who decided to change shoes and became stay at home moms. Most of them took the decision with the intention to be able to work from home one day. But they didn’t realize that working from home is not as easy as they thought.

When I asked some moms why they wanted to quit their job most of them responded that they wanted to stay at home and then work from home, normally this refers to start a home-based business. When I prompted the question with why, they said they wanted to work from home so that they can watch the children and take the house too.

Obviously this is an absurd dream.

The reality is that having a job in an office is just as the same as working from home. Are you surprised? There is no such thing called working from home and handle the children at the same time. You can’t work from home while doing that!

Some moms whose first intention was to be able to do both finally realized that it was nearly impossible and had to face the same issue like my friend’s. In the end they couldn’t decide and waste a lot of time just to think about it.

So before you join the wagon moms, please do read these carefully:

1. Working from home means you have the flexibility to manage your working hours but it doesn’t necessarily mean you can champion both world.

2. Either working outside or working from home there are responsibilities to deal with and those are not included the ones to your husband and children.

3. You still need to make a work schedule and stick to it. The good side is that you can schedule your work according to your house schedule. For example if you are busy during morning hours for the family breakfast, kids school and house cleaning then you can schedule your work in the afternoon. But then when you set your working hours, say from 1 to 4 pm, it means you are working during those times and you should give that same understanding to your kids.

4. You will need assistance to help you take care the children while you do your work. Unless your kids are big enough to play by themselves.

5. Making the rest of the family understand about the nature of your work could be challenging especially for the elderly. They probably wouldn’t realize that despite you are home you are working.

So if you think you are ready for the adventure, hop in! But if you think the pressure is just too much, that is okay. Whatever you chose you still the mother of your children. To work or not to work doesn’t define who you are.

*As usual I am linking with Jess on IBOT

1. Theresa 4 years ago

I don’t think I would have been able to work from home when my girls were smaller. It would have been too stressful having to meet their demands as well as a clients. Kudos to the moms who can pull it off though. It is hard work!

• Author
      CuteCoco 4 years ago

Indeed! It’s a hard work!

2. Rosey 4 years ago

This is all so true. And the one about convincing others in the house that you are working resonates with me well. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing, if i’m home, the family does NOT consider it as working. That provides challenges within itself. This was a great post.

• Author
      CuteCoco 4 years ago

Yeap, My kids get use to it after sometimes but for older generation like my mom working like this is like an alien to her.

3. Mums Take Five 4 years ago

yes i was one of those people and yes i failed. I dont have help at home my husband works long hours and i just could not do everything. I tried but in the end i was mum all day and worked most of the night as that was the only time i could concentrate on what i needed to do. This way is a very short lived one because nothing starts to happen when you are surviving on three hours of sleep every night.
    I hope someone reads this and takes your points on board. :)
    found via IBOT

• Author
      CuteCoco 4 years ago

Yes, you have to take the courage to be best friend with sleep deprivation XD
      Thank you for dropping by dear!

4. How funny – I also wrote about working from home today. I love it, but it definitely is challenging. It’s easier now that my kids are in school full day, but when they were here – it was nearly impossible to actually get any work done.

• Author
      CuteCoco 4 years ago

Just left a comment there 😀

5. Camille 4 years ago

In a way, working from home is the hardest thing of all. Because your family and chores are right there in front of you but you have to ignore them and get your work done!

• Author
      CuteCoco 4 years ago

Exactly! But I think I am getting better at ignoring ha ha..

6. Rhianna 4 years ago

Yes very true it can be just as difficult to work from home as it is to actually go to work. Hats off to those who somehow manage it all hey?

Stopping by as part of #teamIBOT leaving some fairy wishes and butterfly kisses

• Author
      CuteCoco 4 years ago

Yeap! Thank you for dropping by Rhianna!

7. ratusya 3 years ago

Ahahaha correct. Once we’re at home there’s no clear boundary between work and take care home. They think we can do great on both, but we’re also only human who have 1body and 2hands. Working at home doesnt mean we can share concentration but stay focus on both. Nice share